Log in

No account? Create an account
31 October 2013 @ 10:18 pm
Day 6  
Well today was wonderful. I think I can say Mexico was my fave. We got up early at 7am and had breakfast. We went down to our meeting area in Studio B. It was a bit cold because it was a stage with ice skating. We met with two other groups, one going to Tulum and one doing a sea turtle snorkel. We all got on a ferry and were taken to mainland Mexico. Then we met with our group and walked all the way to our bus. They said it was a three hour drive but it didn’t seem so long. Our guide talked most of the way there though and I was getting annoyed. I saw a new bird. I saw a Plain Chachalaca fly into a tree. I was amazed. Too bad I didn’t get a pic because the bus was in motion.

Then we arrived at Chichen Itza. We didn’t want this to be like another Jamaica. Clearly we don’t like being led around so we snuck off on our own. But even before that we could tell this was much better. More relaxed and not everyone was being led around. There were way more vendors but they were not as aggressive as the Jamaican ones. So Quetzalcoatl’s temple was very cool. We got to hear the voice of the bird and snake. That’s when you clap and it echos on the stairs sounding like a quetzal and the echo bouncing back hisses like a snake off the snake pillars. So cool! The snake pillars are in the intro to Mysterious Cities of Gold and I just kept expecting a golden condor to fly out. Though I wanted to see Quetz’s temple I think the “Market” where the snake pillars were made the biggest impact on me. We saw the forest of pillars. We went to the sacred Cenote. That’s a sink hole. I saw some iguanas there. I need to look up what kind because they aren’t the green ones I have seen on the beaches of El Salvador. These are kind of ugly and dark colored. And lastly we saw the “Observatory”. We took tons of pics and videos. But no pics tonight. I’m very tired and want to make this a fast post. I used all my 10 minutes last night and cut it pretty close. Another bird I saw was I think either a social or broad billed flycatcher. I need to compare the photos to my book. I don’t like my Birds of Mexico book. Lovely art but not so good for ID and the pics, descriptions and maps are all on separate pages which I don’t like. I need to get the Princeton book for the Mexican birds.

Like I suspected I was too tired for the Halloween stuff when we got home. Also I’m a bit worried because my left leg and foot swelled up a bit. Chris thinks it’s because I’ve done too much exercise. My right calf was hurting and I think I have been compensating with my left. It was hurting on the bus. I noticed it was bigger and hard in the shower. It’s softened up a little now that I’ve been resting in bed. But it hurts when I sit or stand. I hope it will go away by tomorrow that’s all it is. I have done a lot of stairs, power walking and jogging. None intentionally. I use the stairs more than the elevators because I don’t like waiting and I hate being cramped with lots of people. I used to climb stairs all the time in college but clearly I’m out of shape. The jogging has been unintentional. I have to walk fast sometimes. The tours have been like that and when I forget stuff I jog and have jogged all around the ship to go pick stuff up. My calves are where I have been feeling the burn.

I had time to think since the trip back was quiet unlike the trip there. I was thinking about the George story I’m stuck on. I’d like to keep writing, but I still haven’t figured out how to end it just yet. I wanted to draw but with the leg stuff I haven’t felt like doing anything. Perhaps tomorrow I can draw. Tomorrow for sure will be a take it slow day as we’re on our way home and our last day at sea. I have mixed feelings. Part of me really wants to go home. I think seven days is good without being too much and too little. But part of me doesn’t want to go home either. We still have the long drive back. I’m so thankful that other than the problem with my leg, I haven’t really had any back pains or anything else to hinder our vacation. It has been great and I hope I can stay this way when I get home so I can do my chores like normal. I hope tomorrow will be a creative day for me.
The Silver Wolf of Darkness: Silvolf by Tacimursilvolf on November 1st, 2013 09:08 am (UTC)
I'm glad Mexico was better. I dunno what the tours in Turkey will be like, though I think we'll have lots of chances to explore and relax by ourselves. There are about three tours we're going on.
Hope your leg feels better soon. Mum's hurt her leg and I'm really worried it will hinder her in Turkey. We'll be doing a lot of walking and it's a 5 hour trip on the coach just to get to the airport.
kabuldur: Asterkabuldur on November 1st, 2013 10:51 am (UTC)
I'm glad you had a great day. Mexico sounds so awesome. I like the bird and the snake echoes. And the forest of pillars.

I would have hated the constant talking on the way there. I'm glad he was quiet on the way back. I'm sorry about your leg and hope it is better in the morning. Overall, your bones and muscles have been pretty good. I hope it continues when you get home. It would be so good if you could walk and/or jog around your neighbourhood, also go swimming. I'm quite impressed that you took the stairs, both on the ship and at uni. I also hate lifts.

Edited at 2013-11-02 09:40 am (UTC)